Stores and Laudromats
There are many different stores throughout the Capital Region. Here
are just a few of the essentials to get you started:
- The major area supermarkets are Price Chopper and Hannaford.
The most convenient store to campus is the Brunswick Price Chopper, which
you can find by going east on Hoosick Street. If you don't have a car,
you can take the 87 bus. Those of you who live in the Pawling Avenue
area may find it convenient to go to the Wynantskill Hannaford
at 40 Main Avenue, on the 80 bus route,
but that is a smaller store with less selection.
The Latham (on the 90 bus route) versions of both Price Chopper and Hannaford have good selections.
- There are a number of Asian markets in the area. Some students
like Lee's Market on Central Avenue in Albany. If you don't have
a car, you can take the 90 bus to Colonie Center and then the
55 east on Central Avenue.
- A farmer's market is held in Troy on Saturday mornings.
It's outdoors by the river in the summer and indoors in the Atrium in
the winter. For more information see
During the summer, farmer's markets
are also held
10:30am-1:30pm Tuesdays at at Monument Square and
Wednesdays 3-6pm on Hill Street.
- There are a number of laundromats in the area. There's one
close to campus on 15th Street, between
Hutton and Eagle.
- For household and other items, you might want to visit
BigLots in Troy Plaza, or the
WalMart in Brunswick, which is past Price Chopper on Hoosick Street and
on the 87 bus line. On the 90 bus line in Latham are the WalMart in
Latham Farms, the Target on Wade Rd. Ext., and the KMart on Route 2.
- There are countless restaurants in downtown Troy, on
Hoosick Street, and throughout the region. See the
Times Union or Metroland
for more information.
- Downtown Troy has many shops, including
include Aquilonia Comics, Market Block Books, Pfeil Hardware,
CVS, Uncle Sams Natural Good Products,
and an antiques district on River Street.
- Coffee shops include Java++ at 15th Street and College Avenue,
Mocha Blend near the
Brunswick Price Chopper, and, in downtown Troy, the
Spill 'n' the Beans,
the Flavour Cafe and Lounge.
- The largest mall in the area is Crossgates. Smaller malls include
Latham Circle and Colonie Center.
- Major area thrift stores include the Goodwill store in the
Price Chopper Plaza on Hoosick Street
and the Salvation Army stores at Troy Plaza on Hoosick
Street and on Route 2 in Latham.
Return to main Graduate Admissions page