Bionic Beaver (Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Desktop Version)
Install With VirtualBox 5.2.x
- If you are using a Windows host operating system, it must be either Pro or Enterprise Edition. Otherwise, virtualization will be unreliable. All current versions of macOS will work OK.
- First create your Virtual Machine in VirtualBox. Here are some guidelines:
- Get the "AMD64" build of Ubuntu, even if the host computer has an Intel processor. Intel processors are compatible with the AMD64 instruction set.
- Make sure you have at least version 18.04.1
- Allocate at least 4GB or RAM. Permitting at least 2 cores will also help. Be sure not to starve the host!
- Enable 3D graphics acceleration. 2D graphics acceleration is intended for Windows guests, and therefore invalid for Ubuntu guests.
- VirtualBox's "Extension Pack" (download from the Virtualbox website) can improve on desktop performance.
- 18.04's new Gnome desktop can be a bit slow in Virtualbox. You can install the Unity desktop to improve performance.
- Make sure the Ubuntu install ISO is attached to the Virtual Machine and then boot it up.
- After installation, if you want the Guest Additions -- open a terminal console and type these commands
sudo apt update
sudo apt install gcc make perl
- Insert the Guest Additions ISO (
Devices->Insert Guest Additions CD image)
- The guest additions installation should auto start.
If you are dissatisfied with Gnome's visual performance in Virtualbox, you can use the Unity desktop, instead. Unity was the default desktop of Ubuntu in previous LTS versions.
- Open a terminal console and type these commands
sudo apt update
sudo apt install ubuntu-unity-desktop
- When prompted to choose a desktop manager, choose
- Reboot the VM.
Installing Unity will also install Libre Office and the Amazon Store application. These can be removed in the Ubuntu Software application.
Any Ubuntu via VM Software
SMBus base address uninitialized - upgrade BIOS or use force_addr=0xaddr
This error says that your virtual machine does not have a system managed BUS — which is normal. Therefore the error can be ignored/disregarded.
- 3 Aug 2018