Student RA Program Help
The Student RA Letter Generator (SRA) can be used to enter data and batch a request to have a Research Assistant letter printed and mailed to students. Information for student, semester and a list of funds they will be paid from can be entered. Requests can be previewed and batched after all data fields have been validated.
HOWTO: batch an SRA request
- Student/semester/advisor information
- Select a form letter type:
- Research assistant
- Research assistant in absentia w/fee paid
- Research assistant in absentia w/o fee paid.
- Select an advisor name
- If you are an advisor this box will be populated automagically.
- Select a student name
- If the advisor box contains a value the student box will contain a list of the advisor's students. * Select a semester * "next semester" will be used as a default. * Click [validate] to verify student information or to modify the list of menu selections.
- Funding information
- NOTE Funds must be added to a request using the [add_fund] link before they will be considered/contribute to the total stipend amount.
- Enter funding data for how a student will be paid. Multiple funds may be selected with individual stipend amounts. Total for all stipend amounts must be larger than the minimal stipend amount for the semester.
- Select a 'Fund:' name from the pulldown menu
- If using a non-compsci fund select 'Other - Outside department funds/orgs.
- If any of your fund(s) are not listed, the Request New Database Information link can be used to request their addition.
- The 'Comments:' box can be used for any relevant documentation (emailed to Pam).
- Begin/End dates if they are a subset of the semester.
- 'Stipend:' amount for this fund.
- 'Grandfathered=Yes' if the grant was grand-fathered in.
- Use [add_fund] and [validate] as needed until all information has been entered and what has been entered is valid.
- [preview] and [submit] will appear as options when form data can be batched.
- Click [preview] to generate a print image of your form letter.
- If a preview was generated successfully click [view] to review it.
- Click [submit] if the form letter is ready to be batched or [cancel] to start over.
Student RA Letter Generator
- Click [validate] at any time while entering data to filter option lists or determine what data fields are invalid.
- Date formats accepted
- October 31, 2007
Student/Advisor pulldown menu
- Select an option in either the Student or Advisor boxes and press [validate]. The 'other' box will be populated with appropriate selections by context.
- If a student was selected the student's advisor will appear in the Advisor pulldown menu.
- If an advisor was selected, only the advisors students will appear in the Student pulldown menu.
HOWTO: Change a menu selection
- Selections may be altered by choosing "===> Make A Selection <===" then clicking the [validate] button.
HOWTO: View all options within a menu selection
- Chose "===> View All Selections <===" from the menu of interest
- Click button to the left of the pulldown menu or click [validate] at the bottom
- Pulldown menu will redraw displaying all available options.
HOWTO: Use non-department funds
- In the 'Fund:' box select "Other -- Outside Department Funds/Orgs (non comp-sci)"
- Enter dates/stipend amount as usual
HOWTO: Fix problems with the login dialog box.
- If the login dialog box is blocked by popups add 'rpi.edu' as a trusted website.
HOWTO: Request adding new pulldown menu options
- Access the SRA program
- Click on the info req link at the bottom
- Select to request a new student or fund/org
- Fill in available data and submit, the email will be sent to labstaff and a ticket will be opened.
HOWTO: Input a breakdown of fund information for a student.
- Problem: Fund expriring, pay partial tuition from one fund and the remainder from another.
- Select a fund and enter a dollar amount
- Use the fund comment box to note what the balance is for.
- Click [add_fund] to include the value
- Select the fund again and repeat until balance is $0, comment each in turn.
- Select new fund(s) and input/document the remaining balance.
- NOTE: Absentia fees (as of Spring 2008) should not be entered as a fund balance or it will be included in the stipend amount printed on letters. To note a stipend value do the following:
- Select a fund the stipend should be paid from.
- Enter a balance of $0
- Use the comment box to note a portion of the absentia fee is being paid and the amount.
- Fund number format A######
- Grant number format J######
- Usual dept org #'s: 2550 & 2552
- There is no grant number associated with startup funds. Startup funds are funded by the institute when new faculty are hired.
HOWTO: Submit a payment request for a partial semester or alternate hourly rates.
- In the semester input box choose a semester and click partial
- Apr 28, 2010