Graduate Admissions Committee Guidelines
- Establish and maintain standards for graduate admission and financial aid awards.
Duties of Committee:
- Determine TA nomination procedure.
- Review faculty nominations for TA awards and decide which nominations to accept.
- Set requirements for admissions and aid.
- Conduct yearly review of the Guidelines for the GAC (this document), and if necessary, propose changes.
Duties of Committee Chair:
- Make final decisions on applications to the graduate program in the following cases:
- Applicants to distance program.
- Applicants too weak to be circulated to research group.
- Research group members have reviewed the application and none are willing to supervise the applicant, but the group has been unable to make a final decision on behalf of the Department to reject the applicant.
- Select candidates to be nominated for Rensselaer Graduate Fellowship.
- Respond to requests from applicants for waivers of application requirements.
- In cases of last minute TA openings, choose candidates from the waiting list in conjunction with Executive Officer and Manager of Student Affairs.
- Decide how to proceed with enrolled students who have failed to meet conditions specified at the time of admission.
- The GAC is composed of the Executive Officer, the Manager of Student Affairs, and faculty members appointed by the Department Chair.
- The GAC meets at least once per semester to review TA nominations.
- Additional meetings are called as necessary to review admissions requirements or additional TA nominations.
Return to main Committee page