Undergraduate Curriculum Committee Guidelines
- Establish and maintain undergraduate curriculum standards and to promote undergraduate student welfare.
Duties of Committee:
- Evaluate the curriculum and degree programs of the Computer Science Department and implement changes necessary to continually enhance its relevance and rigor.
- Ensure that the RPI Course Catalog accurately reflects our curriculum and requirements.
- Review new course proposals.
- Process student requests to waive course requirements.
- Conduct accreditation evaluation procedures as necessary.
- Conduct yearly review of the Guidelines for the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee (this document), and if necessary, propose changes.
Duties of Committee Chair
- Represent the Department on the School of Science Curriculum Committee.
- Submit UCC recommendations for approval and/or implementation to authorities such as Department Chair and School of Science Curriculum Committee.
- The chair of the UCC acts as the Department Chair's designee on all cases of academic dishonesty.
- The UCC is composed of the Department's Manager of Student Affairs, two undergraduate student representatives, staff and faculty members as appropriate, and the chair of the Graduate Curriculum Committee.
- The student representatives are elected by the CS undergraduate students from a pool of volunteers obtained by the Department's Manager of Student Affairs.
- The staff and faculty members are chosen by the Department Chair.
- When a student appeals to the Department Chair to overturn an academic penalty applied by his or her instructor, the chair of the UCC meets with the involved parties, gathers the necessary information, makes a determination as to the appropriateness of the penalty, and communicates his recommendation to the Department Chair (within 5 business days of the date of the student's appeal). The Department Chair then renders his decision to the student and the faculty member (within 5 business days of receipt of the committee chair's recommendation).
- The UCC will evaluate requests for waivers of curriculum requirements
on the basis of intended outcomes of the requirements. The decision of
the committee and their rationale must be transmitted to the student in
- Hard copies of all correspondence between the UCC and a student
must be placed in the student's file.
- The UCC meets as frequently as necessary to do its work in a timely fashion.
- Develop capstone course.
- Continue to implement our more rigorous core curriculum.
- Participate in undergraduate events
- Advising Fair
- Commencement Dinner
- Presentation to undergraduates about graduate school.
Return to main Committee page