MPDB will contain two main "branches" of data:
1. The working data branch
- These are owned data, which will be entered under the "working data" umbrella, and be available for sharing and editing by collaborators within a project. These data can be changed only by the owner or a project member with specific privileges.
- The owner may specify which data (samples, subsamples, analyses) are to be
2. The published data branch
- Published data appear in the database as public data with the owner "Published".
- These data are added to MetPetDB in two possible ways:
- Extraction from peer-reviewed, published manuscripts. See below.
- Added during publication of data that were already part of MetPetDB. This process results in a "published" copy of the data.
Private data are only searchable/viewable/downloadable by designated users. The data owner designates who these users are by inviting them to join his/her project.
Private data can be made public only by the data owner. Once data has been made public it can be viewed by anyone.
All samples, subsamples and chemical analyses can be designated as either public or private.
Users make private data public as follows:
- Only the owner can make his/her data public.
- A chemical analysis can be made public only if its subsample is public.
- A subsample can be made public only if its sample is public
- Images associated with a sample are made public with that sample
- Images associated with a specific subsample are made public only with that subsample.
- An image map can be made public only if its parts (subsamples, chemical analyses) are public.
- All of
- a sample or group of samples and their corresponding data
- a subsample or group of subsamples and their corresponding data
- a chemical analysis or group of analyses and their corresponding data
...may be made public using the make public routine.
Public data are searchable/viewable by any user and downloadable by any member user.
Public data can only be modified or deleted by:
- The owner
- A project member with read/write privileges
- MetPedDB Admin under special circumstances
Multiple public versions of a subsample image map may exist. Each version is assumed to be an improved/expanded version of the previous version.
Users should note that public data may be changed at any time and MetPetDB recommends that non-owners using public data should download that data, creating a "static" copy.