| META TOPICPARENT
The Robotics Concentration
- The Department of Computer Science at RPI offers an MS degree with specialization in Robotics.
- Details about the program requirements can be found Here
- Details about the program requirements can be found here
Why specialize in Robotics?
- Unique combination of fundamental knowledge and cutting-edge technology
The main goal of Robotics
- To create intelligent machines that are beneficial to society
The main intellectual challenges of Robotics
We must learn how to design and control robots to:
- Perform a wide range of useful physical tasks alone, in groups, or in collaboration with humans
- Behave in ways that are engaging and socially acceptable to humans
The main intellectual challenge of Robotics
- Understanding how to design and control robots to perform a wide range of useful tasks alone, in groups, or in collaboration with humans, and to do so in ways that are socially acceptable.
The underpinnings of Robotics
I DON'T LIKE THESE
- Artificial Intelligence
- Social Science
Useful background for Robotics research
- The field of Robotics is so broad, that students with many different backgrounds can contribute to the field.
- Assuming knowledge of the subject matter in the courses Robotic I and Robotics II, the subjects most useful in pursuing the goals of the CS Robotics Lab are (in no particular order): algorithms, scientific computing, software engineering, optimization and math programming, Bayesian filtering, multibody dynamics, machine learning, database systems, control theory, and signal processing.