Discussion Forum (LMS)
Late Day Policy
Spring '16 Projects
Assignment #7: Final Project Ideas
Note: This is a shorter-than-usual homework assignment and will be
worth half the points of a typical weekly assignment.
First, read the requirements for the
Brainstorm ideas for the final project for this course. Come up
with 2 different possible projects.
For each of your 2 ideas:
Write a short ~100 word paragraph describing of the project. Answer
the "who" (audience), "why" (research question), "what" (the finished
In a second ~100 word paragraph, describe one significant and specific
technical challenge for the project. What makes this a difficult
project? Or said differently, what is a potential "risk" to your
successful completion of this project before the end of the semester?
Examples of challenges are:
- acquiring the data,
- working with very large data,
- implementing a new visualization design,
- implementing a novel interaction scheme, or
- revising the visualization design to appropriately present and
allow the user to validate the hypothesized information/pattern you
believe is hidden in the data.
Deadline for PART 1: Thursday March 24th @ 11:59pm
a post on LMS with your two different project ideas.
At the bottom of the post indicate if you've already chosen one of
these ideas, if you already have a partner for the final project
(who?), if you're looking for a partner for one of these ideas,
and/oror if you're open to working on someother topic.
Deadline for PART 2: Monday March 28th @ 11:59pm
response to 3 other students' posts. Pick one of their proposed ideas
- Ask a detailed question about the project idea,
- Suggest a specific dataset source,
- Suggest a specific visualization toolkit to use for the project,
- Suggest a reference (paper, book, URL, etc.), or
- Pose a related research question and/or hypothesis.
Let's try to distribute the responses so that everyone gets at
least 2 responses of feedback.