Work Hard and Play Hard...
I am now with Samsung R&D Center as a senior research scientist. I received my Ph.D. degree in computer science from Rensselaer Polytechnic
Institute (RPI) in 2012. My advisor is Boleslaw K. Szymanski.
My research interests include data mining, machine learning, social networks and wireless sensor networks.
I am interested in applying data mining and machine learning technologies to knowledge/pattern
discovery, classification, clustering in Internet, sensor network and social network. My current focus includes fast community detection, opinion spreading, big data analysis, privacy enhanced mining, personalization, recommendation.
- Community detection in social networks
- Opinion/influence spreading in social networks
- Pattern/event/human activity recognition for context-aware applications
- Density based anomaly detection/change detection
- Learning similarity/dissimilarity for categorical data
- Text mining (e.g., burstiness-aware doc search)
- Simulation of stochastic dynamics in networks
- Resource optimization using neural networks
- Routing protocol in wireless sensor networks .
My dissertation (Committee: Mohammed J. Zaki, Mark K. Goldberg and Gyorgy Korniss)
ARL Social Cognitive Network Academic Research Center (SCNARC)
Coming Events: MASSN 2013 BWAAAAI2013
- New community detection algorithm: LabelRankT
- Our stabilized label propagation algorithm for community detection. Here is the?news?post on?atelier, a French web site devoted to technologies with impact on industry (French,English).
GANXiS (aka SLPA): A linear time community detection software for various network structures (undirected/directed and weighted/unweighted), which is able to discover disjoint, overlapping and evolving/dynamic (with extension to LabelRankT) groups. Meaningful structures have been discovered in real-world social networks (e.g., high school friendship) and gene networks (e.g., Alzheimer's disease).(download and more info)
Fast Community Detection in Social Networks.
- J. Xie, B. K. Szymanski, "LabelRankT: Incremental Community Detection in Dynamic Networks via Label Propagation", DyNetMM, New York, 2013.
- J. Xie, B. K. Szymanski, "LabelRank: A Stabilized Label Propagation Algorithm for Community Detection in Networks", IEEE NSW, West point, NY, 2013. (arxiv,BibTex)
- J. Xie, S. Kelley and B. K. Szymanski, "Overlapping Community Detection in Networks:
the State of the Art and Comparative Study", ACM Computing Surveys, 2013. (Impact factor 7.8,arxiv,BibTex)
- J. Xie and B. Szymanski, "Towards Linear Time Overlapping Community Detection in Social Networks", PAKDD 2012. (arxiv,BibTex, software )
- J. Xie, B. K. Szymanski and X. Liu, "SLPA: Uncovering Overlapping Communities in Social Networks via A Speaker-listener Interaction Dynamic Process", IEEE ICDM workshop on DMCCI 2011, Vancouver, CA. (arxiv,BibTex,software)
- J. Xie, B. K. Szymanski, "Community Detection Using A Neighborhood Strength Driven Label Propagation Algorithm", IEEE NSW 2011, West point, NY. (arxiv,BibTex)
Opinion Dynamics in Social Networks
- J. Xie,J. Emenheiser, M. Kirby, S. Sreenivasan, B. Szymanski and G. Korniss. "Evolution of opinions on social networks in the presence of competing committed groups", PLoS ONE 2012 (Impact factor 4.411,,arxiv,) (ARL News)
- B. Szymanski, S. Sreenivasan, J. Xie, W. Zhang, J. Emenheiser, M. Kirby, C. Lim and G. Korniss. "On the Influence of Committed Minorities on Social Consensus", Proc. NATO RTO HFM-201 Specialists Meeting, Tallinn, Estonia, April 16-18, 2012.(pdf, BibTex)
- J. Xie, S. Sreenivasan, G. Korniss, W. Zhang, C. Lim, B. K. Szymanski,"Social Consensus through the Influence of Committed Minorities", Physical Review E. 2011.(pdf,arxiv,BibTex). (featured in RPI news, ACM news, Discovery News,The Atlantic, ScienceNews, New York Times Dot Earth blog, Freakonomics blog , Canadian radio science program)
- W. Zhang, C. Lim, S. Sreenivasan, J. Xie, B.K. Szymanski, G. Korniss, "Social Influencing and Associated Random Walk Models: Asymptotic Consensus Times on the Complete Graph",Chaos: An Interdisciplinary Journal of
Nonlinear Science, 2011.(arxiv,BibTex)
Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning
- J. Xie, B. K. Szymanski, M. Zaki, "Learning Dissimilarities for Categorical Symbols", Journal of Machine Learning Research, vol 10, pp: 97-106, 2010.(pdf,BibTex)
- S. Geyik, J.Xie, B. Szymanski, "Behavior Modeling with Probabilistic Context Free Grammars", International Conference on Information Fusion 2010.(pdf,BibTex)
- J. Xie, M. Beigi. "A Scale-invariant Local Descriptor for Event Recognition in 1D Sensor Signals", IEEE International Conference on Multimedia & Expo(ICME),pp:1226 - 1229, 2009.(pdf,BibTex)
- C. Liu, J. Xie and Y. Hu. "Using Hopfield Neural Network to Solve Resource-leveling Problem". Proc. of the 11th joint international computer conference(JICC),pp:564-567, 2005. (pdf)
For more on sensor networks, see CV.
- PC member
ACM SIGMOD, IEEE ICDM, WAIM, IEEE DCOSS, CHINACOM, FLAIRS, ICCAT, etc
IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (IEEE TKDE)
Knowledge and Information Systems: An International Journal (KAIS)
International Journal of Advances in Engineering & Technology (IJAET)
Journal of Network and Systems Management (JNSM)
Talk & Poster
- Abstract: The effect of committed groups on consensus formation in social networks,3rd Workshop on Complex Networks (CompleNet), March 2012, Florida.
- Poster: Interdisciplinary Workshop on Information and Decision in Social Networks (WIDS).May 31-June 1, 2011, MIT, Boston.
- Talk: Influencing with committed agents in the two-word naming game, 12th Annual Greater Boston Area Statistical Mechanics Meeting (GBASM), Oct 9, 2010, Boston.
- Talk: The Social Influence of Committed Minorities in a Two-party System, 13th Annual Greater Boston Area Statistical Mechanics Meeting (GBASM), Oct 15, 2011, Boston.(PPT)
- Talk: A New Scale Invariant Features Descriptor for Event Detection in Sensor Data Streams, IBM, Aug. 2008.
- 2005, Wireless Sensor Networks: An Overview, ISBN: 0-9767686-0-7, Binary Information Press,
Chapter 7 "Key Technologies for WSNs".
Work experience :
- Mar. 2013 - present, ¡¡Senior Researcher at Samsung R&D Center, San Jose, CA.
- Jul. 2012 - Feb. 2013, Senior Engineer at Oracle Corporation, Redwood City, CA.
- Jun. 2009 - Aug. 2009, Summer Intern at IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, Hawthorne, NY.
- Jun. 2008 - Aug. 2008, Summer Intern at IBM TJ Watson Research Center, Hawthorne, NY.