- New community detection algorithm: LabelRankT
- Our stabilized label propagation algorithm for community detection. Here is the news post on Latelier, a French web site devoted to technologies with impact on industry (French,English).
GANXiS (aka SLPA): A linear time community detection software for various network structures (undirected/directed and weighted/unweighted), which is able to discover disjoint, overlapping and evolving/dynamic (with extension to LabelRankT) groups. Meaningful structures have been discovered in real-world social networks (e.g., high school friendship) and gene networks (e.g., Alzheimer's disease).(download and more info)
Recent Publications (Google Scholar):
Recommendation and Privacy
- J. Xie and H. Jin, "Interactive, Privacy-Constrained Recommendation", 2014, in submission.
- J. Xie, B. Knijnenburg and H. Jin, "Location Sharing Privacy Preference: Analysis and Personalized Recommendation", 19th International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces (IUI), 2014.
Fast Community Detection in Social Networks.
- J. Xie, B. K. Szymanski, "LabelRankT: Incremental Community Detection in Dynamic Networks via Label Propagation", DyNetMM, New York, 2013.
- J. Xie, B. K. Szymanski, "LabelRank: A Stabilized Label Propagation Algorithm for Community Detection in Networks", IEEE NSW, West point, NY, 2013. (arxiv,BibTex)
- J. Xie, S. Kelley and B. K. Szymanski, "Overlapping Community Detection in Networks:
the State of the Art and Comparative Study", ACM Computing Surveys, 2013. (Impact factor 7.8,arxiv,BibTex)
- J. Xie and B. Szymanski, "Towards Linear Time Overlapping Community Detection in Social Networks", PAKDD 2012. (arxiv,BibTex, software )
- J. Xie, B. K. Szymanski and X. Liu, "SLPA: Uncovering Overlapping Communities in Social Networks via A Speaker-listener Interaction Dynamic Process", IEEE ICDM workshop on DMCCI 2011, Vancouver, CA. (arxiv,BibTex,software)
- J. Xie, B. K. Szymanski, "Community Detection Using A Neighborhood Strength Driven Label Propagation Algorithm", IEEE NSW 2011, West point, NY. (arxiv,BibTex)
Opinion Dynamics in Social Networks
- J. Xie,J. Emenheiser, M. Kirby, S. Sreenivasan, B. Szymanski and G. Korniss. "Evolution of opinions on social networks in the presence of competing committed groups", PLoS ONE 2012 (Impact factor 4.411,,arxiv,) (ARL News)
- B. Szymanski, S. Sreenivasan, J. Xie, W. Zhang, J. Emenheiser, M. Kirby, C. Lim and G. Korniss. "On the Influence of Committed Minorities on Social Consensus", Proc. NATO RTO HFM-201 Specialists Meeting, Tallinn, Estonia, April 16-18, 2012.(pdf, BibTex)
- J. Xie, S. Sreenivasan, G. Korniss, W. Zhang, C. Lim, B. K. Szymanski,"Social Consensus through the Influence of Committed Minorities", Physical Review E. 2011.(pdf,arxiv,BibTex). (featured in RPI news, ACM news, Discovery News,The Atlantic, ScienceNews, New York Times Dot Earth blog, Freakonomics blog , Canadian radio science program)
- W. Zhang, C. Lim, S. Sreenivasan, J. Xie, B.K. Szymanski, G. Korniss, "Social Influencing and Associated Random Walk Models: Asymptotic Consensus Times on the Complete Graph",Chaos: An Interdisciplinary Journal of
Nonlinear Science, 2011.(arxiv,BibTex)
Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning
- J. Xie, B. K. Szymanski, M. Zaki, "Learning Dissimilarities for Categorical Symbols", Journal of Machine Learning Research, vol 10, pp: 97-106, 2010.(pdf,BibTex)
- S. Geyik, J.Xie, B. Szymanski, "Behavior Modeling with Probabilistic Context Free Grammars", International Conference on Information Fusion 2010.(pdf,BibTex)
- J. Xie, M. Beigi. "A Scale-invariant Local Descriptor for Event Recognition in 1D Sensor Signals", IEEE International Conference on Multimedia & Expo(ICME),pp:1226 - 1229, 2009.(pdf,BibTex)
- C. Liu, J. Xie and Y. Hu. "Using Hopfield Neural Network to Solve Resource-leveling Problem". Proc. of the 11th joint international computer conference(JICC),pp:564-567, 2005. (pdf)
For more on sensor networks, see CV.
- PC member
SIAM International Conference on Data Mining (SDM 2014)
ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data (SIGMOD)
IEEE International Conference on Data Mining (ICDM)
International Conference on Data Warehousing and Knowledge Discovery (DaWaK)
ACM Recommender Systems(RecSys)
International Conference on Web-Age Information Management(WAIM)
IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing in Sensor Systems (DCOSS)
Florida Artificial Intelligence Research Society (FLAIRS)
IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (IEEE TKDE)
Knowledge and Information Systems: An International Journal (KAIS)
The Computer Journal (COMPJ)
International Journal of Advances in Engineering & Technology (IJAET)
Journal of Network and Systems Management (JNSM)
International Journal of Communication Networks and Distributed Systems (IJCNDS)
Computers and Informatics journal
Talk & Poster
- Abstract: The effect of committed groups on consensus formation in social networks,3rd Workshop on Complex Networks (CompleNet), March 2012, Florida.
- Poster: Interdisciplinary Workshop on Information and Decision in Social Networks (WIDS).May 31-June 1, 2011, MIT, Boston.
- Talk: Influencing with committed agents in the two-word naming game, 12th Annual Greater Boston Area Statistical Mechanics Meeting (GBASM), Oct 9, 2010, Boston.
- Talk: The Social Influence of Committed Minorities in a Two-party System, 13th Annual Greater Boston Area Statistical Mechanics Meeting (GBASM), Oct 15, 2011, Boston.(PPT)
- Talk: A New Scale Invariant Features Descriptor for Event Detection in Sensor Data Streams, IBM, Aug. 2008.
- 2005, Wireless Sensor Networks: An Overview, ISBN: 0-9767686-0-7, Binary Information Press,
Chapter 7 "Key Technologies for WSNs".
Work experience :
- Mar. 2013 - present, ¡¡Senior Researcher at Samsung R&D Center, San Jose, CA.
- Jul. 2012 - Feb. 2013, Senior Engineer at Oracle Corporation, Redwood City, CA.
- Jun. 2009 - Aug. 2009, Summer Intern at IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, Hawthorne, NY.
- Jun. 2008 - Aug. 2008, Summer Intern at IBM TJ Watson Research Center, Hawthorne, NY.