Pallavi of the capital District 2010 - 14th Glorious Year
New Improved Pallavi Website Pallavi Website by Sri Thiyagarajan
Pallavi of the Capital District wishes you a very Happy 2010.
2011 website may be found here
- President: Mrs. Lakshmi Ravichandran
- Vice President: Mrs. Sudharsana Srinivasan
- Treasurer: Dr. Ganesh Sankaranarayanan
- Secretary: Mr. Thiyagarajan Subramanian
- Newsletter 1 (3/27/2010)
- October 17th Sunday 9-12:00 As per Pallavi tradition, Executive members are planning to have Sharad Sangeetha Utsav on October 17th Sunday, 2010 from 9:00am to 12:00pm. For this event, Mrs. Sudharsana Srinivasan is planning to do a group singing at 9:00am. Those who wish to participate in the group singing, Please register your names with Mrs. Sudharsana Srinivasan (372-1248) or email , before October 2nd, 2010. The flyer will soon follow.
Other Concerts in the area
- Saturday September 11, 2010 5:30-7:30 pm Hindu Cultural Center, Ganesh Chathurthi Cultural Program,
Bhakthi Patha Nine kinds of devotion through music and dance For details please
Poster and details
- Oct 1, 6:00 pm - Bharatanatyam Dance by renowned dance duo Shijith Nambiar & Parvathy Menon on Friday Oct 1st at Hindu Cultural Center from 6:00 pm Poster may be found Here. (Please click here)
- Classical Vocal Concert by 11 year old Sharada Shashidhar on Saturday Sept 18 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm in Hindu Cultural Centeraccompanied by N. Shashidhar on violin, Ganesh Sankaranarayanan on Mridangam at the Albany Hindu Temple On Saturday 18th, 2010 @ 6:30PM to 8:30pm. For details please see the Poster
- June 19 6:00 pm RPI- BioTech Auditorium Hindustani Vocal concert by Kirana Vocalist Kaivalya Kumar Poster and Artist's Bio
- June 11, 2010,6:30 pm, Albany Hindu Temple, 450, Albany Shaker Road, Loudenville, Carnatic Music veena
Concert by Nirmala Rajasekhar(Veena), Arun Ramamurthy (Violin),
Akshay Anantapadmanabhan(Mridangam), Sriram Ramesh (Kanjira)
- May 1, 2010.6:00 pm at RPI Biotech Auditorium, RPI, Troy, NY 12181 Carnatic Vocal concert by Smt. Sangeetha Sivakumar and party. Poster Details
Members and Students free, non members - $10.
- April 10, 2010 Saturday Thyagaraja Aradhana Morning 9:00 am to 1:30pm Pancharatna Kritis and Individual Singing Contact Sudashana Srinivasan 518-372-1248 (before) March 31. Poster
- April 10, 2010 Saturday 4:00 - 7:00 pm Carnatic Vocal Concert by Vijaya Siva, accompanied by R. K. Shriramkumar (on violin) and J. Vaidyanathan (Mridangam)
- Chitraveen Ravikran's Workshop June 1- June 5, 2010 - contact Ramanath.
- Bhargavi Balasubramaian , a renowned teacher serving on the faculty of Chitravina s International Foundation for Carnatic Music (IFCM) will be visiting Albany from April 30 to May 7, 2010 to offer live lessons at all levels. If anyone is interested in taking live lessons and/or pursuing music under the tutelage of Maestro Ravikiran, please get in touch with Ramanath at 522-2720. s tele-teaching program involves weekly classes on skype or phone as per the levels and requirements complemented with live lessons about 3-4 times a year (perhaps more if we have more number of students here).
The relevant websites to checkout are:
Dr. Madiwale writes "As part of this tour that I am coordinating,
we have a very talented Tabla player, Ashis Sengupta, who is a Benares
baaz and disciple of the Late Pandit Mahapurush Mishra.
He is also on faculty at the Music Dept of Delhi University.
We also have a young Harmonium player a music PhD student at Delhi University.
I couldn't resist turning this talent pool into a comunity resource for a while. The artists will be with me at 3 different 1 week periods.
1 ) May 26 to June 2nd (2) June 14 to June 18 (3) June 29 to July 7th Hence there will be some continuity, it won't be a fleeting venture.
The vocal music sessions will be for musicians with some prior training, what you would call intermediate and advanced levels. This is a good chance to improve your voice culture, polish your rendition etc.
The tabla & harmonium lessons are being offered to all levels of students: From introduction to accompanist performance coaching.
In addition, if there is enough interest (minimum 10 people) I would like to put together a lecture demo on the appreciation of Khayal music
Fees: 100/- for 3 45' lessons one on one OR four 45' lessons in a group of 3 -5.
Music appreciation Lecture -Demo 20/- for 1-1.5 hrs.
Please let me know what you think as soon as you can so I can start planning."
Other Past Concerts in the Area
- Friday, May 28, 7pm at Woodland Hill Montessori School,100 Montessori Place,Rensselaer, NY 12144 Poster and Details
- April 28th -May 12th Teaching and Performances byTabla and Harmonium Players in Dr. Madiwale's residence
- Friday April 16 at 7:30 pm in Hindu Cultural Center
Tabla Ecstasy - A Tabla Ensemble Concert & Kathak Recital
Date: Friday, April 16, 2010 at 7.30 pm
Venue: Hindu Cultural Center
Organized by: Sejal Kukadia
Sponsor: $100; Patron: $50; Ticket Price: $10; Purchased in advance: $8
For advance tickets: Anasuya Kukadia 783-0957; Suman Joshi 785-0392;
Mukti Sarma 456-7647; Ravi Pilar 577-1226
Tabla Ecstasy is a powerful contemporary tabla ensemble, composed by tabla guru, Pandit Divyang Vakil. Enthralling audiences with its power and harmony, Tabla Ecstasy has all of the facets of modern tabla playing combined with the essence of classical tabla. Tabla Ecstasy is Pt. Vakil's latest masterpiece of Indian drumming created with the intention of showcasing the power of pure tabla. The ensemble is comprised of four dynamic musicians of Ahmedabad, Gujarat: Rushi Vakil, Nishant Mehta, Kaumil Shah, and Sahil Patel.
The concert will begin with a KATHAK dance performance by Korean artist, Ms. Won Joung Jin. A strong, yet graceful performer, her dance recital incorporates both
traditional and contemporary forms of the Indian classical dance Kathak. Her chakars (spins) enthrall audiences and her padhant (oral recitation) leaves people in
awe of the ease with which she recites such complex and foreign words.
- 28th February 2010 2:00pm - 4:30 pm An afternoon of Carnatic Music and
Bharatanatyam by Smt. Vidya Subramanian and Smt. Sudharsana Srinivasan in Hindu Cultural Center , 450 Albany Shaker Road, Loudenville - Free Admission
- 17th January 2010 1:30 pm Carnatic concert at The Arts Center of the Capital Region, Troy, NY Carnatic vocal concert by Vidya Subramanian, accompanied by Ravi Srinivasan on violin and Ganesh Sankaranarayanan on. mridangam.
FREE ADMISSION! All are welcome!
Venue: The Arts Center of the Capital Region, 265 River Street, Troy, NY, www.artscenteronline.org. For more info, call the Arts Center at 518.273.052
Date and Time: Sunday, Jan 17, 2010; Pre-concert talk on Carnatic music at 1 pm followed by concert at 1:30 pm
Please become a member if you are not one already. Membership form (in doc format) . Please support and sustain music and
dance from India.
GE Matching Gift
If you have any questions please contact Moorthy
Thanks to the efforts of Sri. Narayan and Shanta Nair, Pallavi is
awarded GE Matching Gift Program this year. Please take a look
at Requirements and contribute
generously to sustain this grant.
- Directions for GE Matching Gift
Dr. Suresh Rajaraman has prepared the following document for GE people
to make their gift known to GE so that GE can make a matching contribution.
GEmatching directions .
Last Years Activities can be found in